Monday, December 31, 2007

West Ham's Transfer Window

After the excitement of last January and the action over the summer I have a feeling West Ham are not going to see much transfer action in the next month. I also suspect the club may see more departures in this window than arrivals as Curbishley is forced to reduce the squad and wage bill.

Lets start with

Departures:

Pantsil, Davenport and Quashie seem to have little first team opportunity at West Ham and may well be on the way out. Of the first team players Bobby Zamora seems to be the player most linked with other clubs.

Zamora's injury has kept him out of the first team and led journalists to speculate that he is unhappy at the club or not valued by Curbishley. I would be very surprised if he did move on. Pantsil and Quashie could well be sold, however Curbishley may wait until later in the month and the return from injury of other players.

Arrivals:

Matt Derbyshire, Giles Barnes, Nicky Shorey, Darren Bent are all being linked with West Ham. Bent I think we can dismiss as a non-starter. Barnes and Shorey have long term contracts and despite being previous West Ham targets I don't think West Ham will be desperate to break the bank in order to provide offers too tempting to resist.

Matt Derbyshire is an interesting prospect. He seems to have taken a step back this year at Blackburn and has featured far less in their first team than last season. If Curbishley is desperate to sign another forward I think Derbyshire is just the kind of player he would target. He may even be affordable even with the limited transfer funds Curbishley is likely to have available

2 Comments:

At 2:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Shorey only had 18 months left on his contract? Would you consider that long term? (I mean that honestly, not like a wisea$$).

Thanks,
Dan

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Keir Clarke said...

I thought I had read that his contract ran out this summer. However when I looked on Wikipedia and saw it ran out in June 2009 it did change my opinion on the likelihood of him being sold in January.

18 months admittedly isn't long term but I think Reading might give him until the summer to sign a new contract or sell him on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!