Friday, June 09, 2006

Bowyer Signs For West Ham

West Ham yesterday completed the signing of midfielder Lee Bowyer. The West Ham official website makes no mention of any fee but does refer to a sell on clause (The Independent report that the undisclosed fee for the player is believed to be £750,000). The site also claims that the player is taking a big pay cut to join the Hammers.

Lee Bowyer is a player who has created trouble on and off the field and has never fulfilled his early potential. Bowyer could still be a brilliant player, let's hope Pardew's the man to get the best out of him.

Lee Bowyer himself has begun his second stint at West Ham with this statement,

"I am desperate to do well for West Ham. I loved my time at Newcastle but this is my club. I didn't play well last time. I had a bad ankle injury and kept playing on it which was to nobody's benefit. I see this as unfinished business. I want to show the fans what I can do."

2 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A backwards step for the club. I hope he proves me wrong but I somehow doubt it he's never played with any kind of conviction at any of the clubs he's been at and he attracts trouble like dog shit attracts flies.

 
At 1:09 AM, Blogger Keir Clarke said...

I hope you're wrong as well. I've always found it strange how my loyalty to a football club overcomes all my other prejudices. I know if I came across this guy in any other walk of life I would detest the guy.

However I remember watching Bowyer when he first started playing professionally and thinking he was going to become one of the best ever England midfield players. He would throw himself into tackles, he could pass the ball and he got goals from midfield.

Since then he has done little to justify this early promise and proved himself, on and off the pitch, to be a complete twat. And yet ... much as I detest the guy I still think he could be a great player.

At the rumoured £750,000 he could prove to be a good buy. There's no way he should walk into the West Ham first team, but hopefully we are going to have a long season next year and we do need a larger squad.

I just hope Bowyer realises that so far he has wasted his talent and that he has a couple of seasons left at the top to achieve something as a player.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!