Saturday, August 15, 2009

Wolves 0 West Ham 2

An open first half saw both sides making lots of chances. West Ham started brightly with early shots from Cole, Collinson and Noble. Unfortunately all flew well wide.

After the opening ten minutes Wolves began to look the more dangerous. In the 17th minute Wolves managed to create a flurry of chances. Ebanks-Blake headed over, Andrew Keogh shot over from just outside the area and Jarvis had a shot blocked by Faubert.

West Ham however still looked lively when in possession. In the 21st minute Cole received the ball on the left wing and played the ball square to Noble, who had an age to line up his shot and shoot from 25 yards. His shot from the centre of the goal flew straight into the top left of the goal.

In the 30th minute West Ham had a flurry of chances to increase their lead. Noble set Cole free behind the defence. Cole's first touch sent him wide and his turn and shot was blocked by the keeper. The ball fell to Dyer on the edge of the box and his shot was cleared off the line for a corner.

From the corner Ilunga's header from seven yard was just tipped over by the keeper. The resulting corner saw a shot from Ilunga and then a back heel from Dyer both blocked.

After that, for the rest of the half, both sides continued to look lively and create chances but with neither side managing to find the net.

At the start of the second half Wolves came out flying and West Ham relied on Green to keep them in the game. Milijas in particular looked threatening. In the 46th minute his shot from just outside the area was deflected and was looping goalwards but Green just managed to stretch and tip it over the bar. From the corner Milijas then shot from the edge of the area again, forcing a good save low down from Green.

In the 52nd minute Collinson had an excellent chance to extend West Ham's lead when he rounded the keeper and then saw his shot blocked on the line when he really should have scored. However in the 68th minute West Ham did get their second when Upson rose to meet a corner and headed home from 4 yards.

The second goal took the wind out of Wolves and as the game progressed West Ham saw more and more of the possession. Wolves had a a couple of chances in the last two minutes but Green stood strong in goal and West Ham held out for the win.


At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good win in what cud have been a tricky fixture. displayed what we did well ,but also what we need to improve. big 3 points, given we still have not gotten another striker,and have difficult games soon against Tott and L'pool.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!