Tuesday, June 20, 2006

England vs Sweden

Zlatan Ibrahimovic seems certain to miss the game for Sweden because of an injury. For England Crouch and Gerrard, both on yellow cards, make way for Rooney and Hargreaves. Giving Owen a chance to prove his quality with Rooney seems a reasonable decision to me but I would prefer to have seen a more attacking choice than Hargreaves.

It seems to me that most of the top international teams have learnt from English clubs in the Champions League that the way to win tournaments in the modern fast game is to play quick, attacking foortball. In a game that we don't necessarily have to win, I would have liked to see Beckham moved to the centre and Lennon given a start on the wing.

1 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree in essence with what you say but, as we shape up to play better opposition the midfield holding role (which hasn't really been tested up until now) will become vital, and I understand Owen Hargreaves plays that part for Bayern, so it could be make or break for him. Put past gaffs behind us, buoy Hargreaves up a bit and win with some flare would be my message. Time to put the frighteners up the other teams still in after tonight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!