Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cole Thanks West Ham Manager

Carlton Cole has thanked West Ham manager Alan Curbishley for giving him an extended run in the first team.

"This is the first time ever I've had 15 games back to back in my whole career. Curbs has given me the opportunity to do so. I'm so happy right now and I couldn't be in a better place," Cole said.

"Everyone needs a manager who will stick by them through thick and thin, and usually players do find that a manager like Curbs is like that.

"I'm so happy right now and I couldn't be in a better place, and I'm going to try and do more for the manager over the coming months.”

Having defended Cole earlier in the year, when a lot of West Ham fans were on his back, I'm going to be a little ungenerous now by suggesting that this is a well timed reminder by Cole to Curbishley that he has done a job for the team. Unfortunately for Cole, with Bellamy and Zamora returning to fitness, he may find he won't get as many opportunities in the next few months.

Cole has proved that he can play an effective role as a target man, holding up the ball and providing assists for other players. However having scored only two goals in the league he will presumably soon make way for a fit Bellamy and may even find himself below Zamora in the starting line up.

1 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your reading of this is spot on. You can't fault the way Cole has risen to the challenge, but for my money he lacks something in the final third of the pitch often looking rushed and clumsy in front of goal. It would seem he will never fulfill the potential he showed early in his career. Always a chance this run in the side has raised his worth in the market place come the summer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!