Sunday, May 11, 2008

Green for West Ham, Ashton for England

Robert Green has been named West Ham Player of the Year and Dean Ashton has been named in England's 31-man squad to face the United States and Trinidad and Tobago.

Robert Green took 52 per cent of the poll, carried out by the West Ham United Supporters Club. Fellow ever-present George McCartney was the runner-up, getting 31 per cent, with Matthew Upson in third place.

"I am very pleased. I have got a good rapport with the fans," said Green.

"I love playing in front of them, I love playing for the club ... It is a wonderful achievement for myself, it is something I failed to do in ten seasons at Norwich so I am really pleased to do it in my second season at West Ham."

Ashton scored five goals in his last eight games. Overall Ashton netted 10 goals in 23 starts in all competitions this season.

2 Comments:

At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It s encouraging to hear Green s comments ,as this makes it look more likely that we will be able to hold on to him,despite the press speculation

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to see that Capello continues to be reluctant to pick Green. Kirkland finished the season fairly strongly, so I can t quibble with his selection. I find the selection of Hart a bit unrealistic,especially given the drop in Man City s form in the second half of the season. There were apsects of Green s game that seemed to suffer a bit in our last 10 games,and perhaps that didn t go unnoticed by Capello. In the end, a mixed bag for Green ,in getting Hammer of the Year ,but missing out on England squad. Maybe that s not a bad thing from a WHU point of view, as perhaps it will motivate him to try to improve enough to warrant the inetrnational call-up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!