Thursday, May 22, 2008

West Ham's Sears the Rising Star of the Season

West Ham's Freddie Sears has been named in Sky's season selection as their 'Rising Star'. They say,

"Sears enjoyed what can only be described as a memorable debut for West Ham. Five minutes after his introduction against Blackburn, the young striker showed predatory instincts to score at the second attempt after Brad Friedel had saved his initial effort to secure a thrilling 2-1 victory. The latest product of the Upton Park Academy will be one to watch next term."

Sears' goal scored within five minutes of his debut and his amazing goal-scoring run for the reserves and youth teams last season ensured he became an instant hero at The Boleyn. I'm fairly hopeful that Sears will progress to be a first team regular in a couple of seasons. However I'm fairly surprised that he is Sky's pick of the young players who emerged last season.

I know I'm going to get slaughtered for this and I hate the club he plays for but Gareth Bale would actually be my 'rising star' of last season. I think Bale scored three goals in his first four games for Sp#rs. Maybe having had a successful year as a 16-17 year old in the Championship makes him ineligible.

And I know Theo Walcott seems to have been around for years but I actually think in the last couple of months of the season he actually began to live up to some of the excitement around his future.

I am going to get slaughtered aren't I?

3 Comments:

At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No you're not. I definitely agree with your assessment of Walcott. His last goal was magnificent.

 
At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your comments:)

(Maybe we can see things more objectively out of season!)

Flammer

 
At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both Bale and Walcott showed what they can do ,so your assessment was fair. At times I ve questioned the sense of Walcott not being willing to go out on loan to get regular first team football, but perhaps he s been right to try to fight for his place. If he carries on, it s hard to see him not being much more involved next season. With the high profile departures at Arsenal perhaps he will get more of a chance,even if it s midfielders that Arsenal are losing and not strikers.

Nice to see that the young players chosen are from the UK

g portugal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!