Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Zola One Year On

Today is the first anniversary of Gianfranco Zola as West Ham manager. I have to admit I was initially a little wary of the appointment of such an inexperienced manager. However the appointment of Steve Clarke as his assistant and the improvements made on the pitch soon won me around.

Although Zola didn't have an immediate impact in terms of results, from his first game in charge he stamped his mark on the way he wanted West Ham to play. Under Zola West Ham have become a team that like to keep possession and play an attractive passing game. It is much more fun watching West Ham now than it was under Curbishley (who I still think is one of the best English managers).

Zola has had to cope with having very little money to buy the players he wants and has had to sell players in order to buy. If the club can get to the position where they can actually start funding the purchase of the players he wants I think Zola will really take the club forward.

Conversely, a couple of more seasons of not having any transfer funds and I can see Zola becoming frustrated and looking to move on. However, for now, it sounds like Zola is happy. Here's what he has had to say about being in charge at West Ham for one year,

"It's been very good and is an achievement, but I want to share it with the club.

"Gianluca Nani and Scott Duxbury have been brilliant. They believed in the project and never gave up on the idea of keeping the best players and actually trying to improve the team.

"That has been really good and I appreciate that. I was lucky because I had fantastic people on my side. Steve Clarke has been massive in this way, and also Kevin Keen and Antonio Pintus. They helped me a lot and we have built up a fantastic management team."

3 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he s done well given that he s been undermined by the "owners" of the club ,who have failed to even maintain a minimum level of investment at the club. The only chance supporters have of Zola staying are if the ownership changes by the end of the upcoming transfer window. He won't ,and nor will Clarke,waste time working for inept,narrowminded Icelandics

Curbishley- very good Championship manager. Not Premeirship. As evidenced by the fact he s still unemployed

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Keir Clarke said...

Curbs had a very good record with Charlton in the Premier League. Also when I say he is one of the best English managers you have to remember there isn't much competition.

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

average finishing of 10th or 11th is respectable. difference between respectable and very good. very good is moyes,o'neill ,and i hate to admit it ,but redknapp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!