Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Equality League

To overcome the problem of the top four clubs dominating and destroying the Premier League and the problem of the ever increasing amounts of money being spent in the transfer market I propose a new league, which I am calling the EPL or the Equality Premier League.

My league will work in the same way as the English Premier League with three points for a win and one for a draw. However teams will be deducted one point for every million pounds they spend on the transfer market.

The table below shows how my rules would effect this year's league. All the teams have been deducted one point for each one million pounds they spent in the summer transfer market (the transfer spending is based on figures originally compiled by Purely Man City)


Under my rules West Ham would move up to sixth in the table. In fact I think Purely Man City have inflated the money West Ham spent and we actually only spent one or two million more than we received in the summer - so if you add seven points to West Ham we come out equal third with Villa. On the other hand I don't want to think how far in the minus we would have been last season if you worked out that table by the same rules.

The big losers under my rules would be Man Utd, Man City and Sunderland, who all splashed out in the summer. Conversely Arsenal, who were the only club to make a surplus in the summer, would have had the championship tied up by Christmas.

(Oops - maths was never my strong point, -8 is below -2 and Sunderland should rightly be bottom not Derby.

Hang on, what am I saying - Sp@~s should be bottom!)

3 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great piece- very informative.

interesting that the spending of villa and blackburn has been relatively restrained ,yet look where they sit in the table, in comparison to spurs,for example.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how are sunderland above derby?

from tom

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Keir Clarke said...

Oops - Maths was never my strong point - you are quite right -8 should be below -2 and Sunderland should rightly be bottom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!