Friday, August 08, 2008

West Ham Don't Have Much Choice

The Daily Mail say West Ham are set to Give Youth a Chance against Villareal tomorrow, in a headline that should read West Ham Don't Have Much Choice. It appears that Anton Ferdinand has joined the growing list of players who won't be fit for the start of the season so Alan Curbishley has little choice but to field an inexperienced side.

Curbs is putting a brave face on the situation,

'The youngsters have done well in pre-season and players such as Junior Stanislas, Zavon Hines and Kyel Reid deserve their chance.'

However it is fast becoming apparent that West Ham's culling of the squad in this transfer window has left the side seriously weak, especially up front.


At least one of the players released has now found another club. Nobby Solano has signed a two year contract with Larissa in Greece. Solano said on joining his new club,

"It was a joint decision with my family and that is why I am going to Greece.

"I am grateful to Newcastle where I reached the peak of my career. I am happy for what I gave to Aston Villa and I finished well at West Ham. I am leaving England very consistent in what I did."

1 Comments:

At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be fair the stated strategy of the board and the manager is to introduce Tony Carr's Academy players in to the first team squad to create a "Home Grown" core of first teamers that grew up together, in footballing terms, and keep hold of that team so that we can challenge.

Yes - I agree Curbs doesn't have much choice at the moment. Your post makes no mention, however, of the introduction of Nobes, Collinson, Tomka and Freddie over last season and that Youth will continue to be brought in even when we have a fit first eleven.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!