Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Neill Defends West Ham

Lucas Neill has hit back at critics of his decision to join West Ham. Many have questioned Neill's choice of joining West Ham over Liverpool and have claimed he only joined us for a huge weekly salary. In reply Neill states he joined West Ham because he claims he would be guaranteed first team football rather than warming the bench at Anfield,

"At no stage did the issue of money enter into the footballing decision I was making." he said.

"Yes, I want to be secure, like everyone, but more importantly I want to know that I am going to be content, happy and playing football every week.

Some of the figures that have been mentioned are just ridiculous and the whole thing was blown way out of proportion. Anyone who thinks I joined West Ham simply for money is way off the mark.

People have questioned why I signed for West Ham and not Liverpool but I don't understand that.

Yes, Liverpool is a great club with a fantastic history but, equally, West Ham have produced people like Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Martin Peters, Trevor Brooking and Billy Bonds over the years. If West Ham was good enough for those guys, then it's good enough for me.

If people want to insult my decision to play for West Ham, then they are insulting some of the greatest players the game has produced, including the three men who led England to the World Cup in 1966."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!