Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Euro 2008

I'm just back from Geneva where the TV screens and beer tents have gone up in preparation for Euro 2008. On Sunday driving around Lake Geneva every bridge was covered with flag waving Portuguese fans (Portugal were due to fly into Geneva airport - and drive to their base for the tournament Sunday afternoon).

There is a strong sense of anticipation and excitement in the city which had me cursing McClaren's name more than once over the weekend. However most of the English people I met expressed their relief at the fact that England didn't qualify - something about not wanting to see the city become an open toilet for drunken thugs).

Geneva is a very international city. Over the weekend I also met some Spaniards who, through the tactic of keeping my glass full, managed to persuade me to support Spain for the tournament.

Being out of England for the weekend did mean that I missed Ashton's performance for the national side but I hear he had a solid half. Ashton himself sounded a little disappointed with his performance,

"Personally I probably could have done a little bit better
," Ashton said.

"It would have been nice to get a goal, but it wasn't to be. I was pleased with how it went and happy to get 45 minutes.

"It's been a long wait to get that first cap and it feels brilliant. Nobody can take it away from me, but hopefully I've done enough to impress for the next squad."

2 Comments:

At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol this early in the morning: something about not wanting to see the city become an open toilet for drunken thugs

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally agree

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!