Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Wigan 0 West Ham 1

West Ham seemed to have this game sewn up in the 33rd minute when Carlton Cole scored West Ham's goal of the season. The goal came at the end of a lovely move from West Ham, which ended with a Di Michele one-two with Noble on the edge of the box before Di Michele passed to Cole and Cole from the edge of the area curled the ball past Kirkland.

However three minutes later the game changed when the ref gave Cole his second yellow card of the game for raising his foot when he jumped for the ball. Before the sending off Wigan had been restricted to just a couple of long range efforts from free-kicks. From one of them Green was forced into a good save from Mido but Wigan had looked largely ineffective.

After Cole's sending off Wigan came to life. Mido hit the post with a four yard flicked header and in the 41st minute Catterrmole came close with a 30 yards drive that just missed wide of the right hand post.

Wigan started the second half well and caused West Ham enough problems to make it look like it would be a long half for the Irons. Then in the 51st minute Catermole came through the back of Scott Parker and was duly sent off.

Now that the number of players were even again West Ham began to dominate possession. In the 76th minute Collison went down unchallenged and seemed to twist his knee. For the second game running West Ham then had a player stretchered off.

Wigan never looked like they would get the equaliser and even after six minutes of added time they were unable to score. Given the excellence of West Ham's goal and their dominance of possession it was a well deserved win.


At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Rex Hammer said...

referee should also go back to referee school...needs a lot more experience before he can be in charge in the premiership

At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carlton Cole scored West Ham's goal of the season.
As usual Lawro was spot on!! COYI


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!