Saturday, June 26, 2010

Germany, Argentina, Spain, Brazil, the World

I've just been looking at who England are likely to face in the unlikely event we beat Germany tomorrow. The path to the Word Cup for England is Germany, Argentina, Spain and Brazil.

I'm always an eternal optimist when it comes to England. It's kind of like supporting West Ham really, you always expect the best but are too often disappointed. However, even my eternal optimism has struggled to get going after England's first poor showing against the USA.

Now looking at who they will probably have to beat to win the World Cup even the hope I had left is beginning to look a bit laughable. The USA however look to me to have a reasonable chance to make the semi-finals. If England hadn't been so negative in the qualifying rounds and had gone out from the start to win the group they would have had a reasonable chance to make the final.

I just hope England's next manager is a supporter of attacking, attractive football. I know who I'd like to see replace Capello, a choice I don't think many West Ham fans would like, even if he is an ex-manager of the club. Go on ... you know who ...

3 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not like he doesn't throw his hat in the ring every opportunity he gets anyway. In any case, I wouldn't envy the next manager's job. What really exciting English talent is there between the ages of 19 and 25 right now? I can't think of too many. Perhaps Redknapp is the best person to squeeze the best out of Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and co for the next 5 years until the current U-18 batch come through.

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. would love to see him take charge. Needs to sort out the charges against him first.

Kenny

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Keir Clarke said...

Adam Johnson looks like he might fill the left wing role - It will be good to have a left winger again if he continues to progress.

Milner looks like he'll be a regular for a number of years.

Rooney, Joe Hart, Glen Johnson, Michael Dawson and Lennon should all still be around for the next World Cup. Defoe will be only 31.

Looks to me like we need central defenders and central midfielders to come through and replace Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Terry and Ferdinand.

I agree I can't really see who is coming through in those positions at the moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!