Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sven Wanted Anton

Anton Ferdinand today revealed that he received a phone call from Sven-Goran Eriksson who wanted the West Ham player to replace the injured Luke Young on the England stand-by list. This would have meant that Anton would have met up to train with the England squad prior to the World Cup gaining valuable experience. However Anton received the call just a day after a double-hernia operation so was unable to comply,

"It was about a week after the FA Cup final and I was just sitting at home when my phone rung. It was Sven asking if I would like to join up with the squad on standby. I was shocked at first. Unfortunately I had to say no because I'd had a double hernia operation the day before.

Sven didn't know about that and said it was unfortunate, but wished me all the best for the future. It was a bit upsetting to think that having the operation cost me the chance of joining up with England."

Steed Malbranque Up For Sale

Steed Malbranque's departure from Craven Cottage seems certain after he was banished from training with Fulham's first team squad. The midfielder has refused to sign a new contract and a number of teams, including West Ham, appear keen to sign the player after he was sent on a trip to Austria with Fulham's youth team.

3 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems the wages are the sticking point, and I think it wise of West Ham to baulk at the kind of money he's asking for. Look at the trouble we got in a few years ago when the wages started to resemble telephone numbers, plus is he really good enough to make those kind of demands. I think he is a big fish in a small pond at the cottage.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Keir Clarke said...

Yep - he isn't worth £60,000 a week. The club do seem to be sticking to their wages policy which means that we are unlikely to sign any 'big name' players. Personally I wouldn't mind the club breaking the policy for a player of proven ability and who is worth it. That isn't Malbranque.

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True Ed if we're going to pay wages like that it needs to be for a player in a position we are really light in, the right back would seem favourite just now. The more I think about it the more I reckon we should have hung on to Scoloni, he seemed to settle towards the end of the season and didn't look to shabby for Argentina when I saw him in the world cup. We could come to lament a lost opportunity there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!