Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Rift Opens Between Zola and Owners

It seems that I'm not the only one to question the logic of telling the players they face a huge pay cut in the summer on the eve of a really important game.

This afternoon West Ham manager Gianfranco Zola launched a scathing attack on David Sullivan.

"I think the article should have been done at another time, not just before a match like tomorrow," said Zola.

"It would have been better to say that at another time and maybe talk to us before talking to a newspaper. That is my feeling."

"When an article like that comes before a big match like tomorrow, I'm not happy about that because I don't think it is any good for the whole team.

"I just read the article this morning and that's it. The match is all that matters to me and the players.

"I'm not thinking about relegation at all. I'm thinking about getting the points that we should have had on the table. That is my only focus. That is why I am here.

"Since I have been here it has been a repetition of speculation and problems. To be honest, I'm fed up with that. I just want to carry on with football. The players are committed to what we are doing. They believe in it and are determined.

"The defeat against Burnley was unexpected and a big blow. But the fighting spirit is there and we will never give up."

"Personally I can say I am not here for the money. Last year when I signed a contract I didn't even know how much I was going to earn. I had a plan and a project and I liked what I was going to do. I didn't know what I was going to earn and then after a while the club called me in about a new contract.

"It's not about money. It is about working for something positive. I always enjoy working for this club. The money was something that came after."

8 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's too expensive too sack. Continue to undermine him and he'll walk and all the players will go with him.

Our football club is sinking folks. Pray hard that I'm wrong.

 
At 7:48 PM, Anonymous TBI said...

That's what he wants and I suppose mouthing off in the press maybe be working.
It's certainly working with me, I'm hating Sullivan more and more as the days go by.....

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will join in the money saving next season too. Sullivan can keep my two season tickets. Will just watch the free internet feeds instead

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we all know he wants hughes in as boss so starting a rift with zola will go the ball rolling..i had a bad feeling about those two when they arrived and the feelings getting worse..ther in it for the money and nothing else. wat tempts these buyers into taking over our club is the thought of a free stadium,thats all..tonyardfert

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the transparency and openness of the new owners but i do feel that this is something that could have been said at the end of the season rather than at such an important point when we are in the relagation zone.
is anyone else fearing a relegation and fire sale of cole, green, upson, parker, collison, noble, tomkins, hines, stanislas, illunga, behrami etc.?
we will, however, probably be able to hang on to dyer, quashie and christian daily.

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zola has make a very good point! The owners, and also the fan and the fans of West Ham United. Please make good decisions at this critical time .. Stay united, and move on to winning ways!

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dumb man management . The club faces the biggest match of the season , so what do Gold and Sullivan do?

They alienate Zola,the rest of the staff ,and the players. And they inspire the opposition.

This from the same idiots who saw fit to offer Ruud 100k a week

All gob ,and no action is what Gold and Sullivan are

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there could be more to it.
When the takeover happened the Davids were asking for other investment. I think there saying things to try to get other wealthy hammers fans involved or to get Straumur to help them out a bit.

However it is pretty stupid alienating the manager even when we arent getting results and the team are badly underperforming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!