Saturday, January 27, 2007

West Ham 0 Watford 1

Just as you thought West Ham had turned a corner in their season they remind you how abject they can be. In the first twenty minutes Watford gave West Ham an early warning that they wouldn't be able to just drift through this game, as their effective long ball game ensured they had the better of the play. In the 15th minute Damien Francis even put the ball in the net for Watford but his effort was disallowed for offside.

This seemed to be the shock that West Ham needed to wake them up and the Hammers then began to create some chances of their own. In the 18th minute Quashie has a 25 yard volleyed shot saved by Foster. Three minutes later Shaun Newton had a right-footed shot from the centre of the penalty area 12 yards out saved by Foster's feet. West Ham's best other chance was a 25 yard shot from Carlton Cole in the 38th minute which just missed wide of the right post.

Then with minutes to go before half-time Carroll made a howling mistake. He came out to meet a cross and missed the ball almost completely leaving Anthony McNamee an easy shot from 18 yards to give Watford the lead.

After picking up an ankle injury in the first half Neill was replaced two minutes into the second half by Paintsil. In the opening 20 minutes of the second half West Ham peppered the Watford box. In the 49th minute Zamora dribbled into the box and shot, but straight at Foster. In the 55th minute Newton crossed into the box and Zamora met the cross with his head but the ball flew just over the bar.

In the 58th minute Carlton Cole sprinted into the box with the ball and went down under a challenge, Cole was booked for diving. Two minutes later Boa Morte had a good chance but shot just left when he should have scored, the linesman ruled him offside anyway to spare his blushes. In the 62nd minute Shaun Newton shot from 18 yards and just missed wide of the left post.

In the 65th minute Sheringham came on for Newton. In the 71st minute Foster dropped a corner but Boa Morte shot wide. Two minutes later Henderson just missed the opportunity to put Watford 2-0 up as he failed to properly meet a cross. In the 76th minute Etherington replaced Boa Morte. In the 81st minute Cole fired way over the bar from 20 yards.In the 84th minute Sheringham had a good chance from 6 yards but lobbed the ball instead of smashing the ball home and the Watford defence managed to scramble the ball behind.

So it was a better second half performance from West Ham but never really that convincing. FFS beaten at home by Watford.


At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will we get revenge in 2 weeks with a stronger side?

At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Rico 2000 said...

We're in trouble. They only had 1 shot on target (out of 4) & we lose 1 nil. Lets all wake up & smell the roses (or shuold that be the manure because thats what yesterdays performance was), we're down!!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!