Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Zamora and Pantsil Being Sold to Fulham

The West Ham official site say West Ham have allowed Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil to discuss personal terms with Fulham.

West Ham United CEO Scott Duxbury said,

"We recognise that Bobby Zamora and John Pantsil have had limited first-team opportunities last season at West Ham United. They want to play regular first-team football and we have given permission for them to speak to Fulham with a view to concluding a move."

West Ham say that the club is "looking forward to a new season with a fully fit squad." Obviously the experience of last season hasn't taught them that you often pick up injuries before and during the season.

Selling two of the most popular players with the fans whilst seemingly having little interest in bringing in replacements will presumably not got down too well with West Ham supporters.

I really hope the club are on the verge of signing a new striker. The official site claims that Zamora has limited first team chances because the club has Craig Bellamy, Dean Ashton, Carlton Cole and Freddie Sears. I think Zamora would be the third striker in that list and being third behind two injury prone front men would presumably mean he would got a lot of playing time next season if he stayed fit himself.

I have this really nasty feeling in my bones that we could be facing at least another half season watching Carlton Cole playing up front on his own. Oh the humanity!

6 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Anonymous hammer said...

any ideas of how much they will be going for?

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keir, you don't take into recognition that these two want to play first team football, they simply don't have a part in our first eleven, and hence want to leave the club. It's only fair, in this case, to let them go. Of course they are popular with the fans, and Zamora has given a lot to the club, but we can't hang on to an unhappy player when we need to trim the squad (and say what you want but we DO need to trim the squad, and the number of injuries that occured last season was a freak occurance).

So thankyou Bobby and John, and all the best at Fulham. I do hope this allows for the arrival of a new striker, infact I am almost certain it will, at the very least a loan addition.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Keir Clarke said...

Not as yet - been reading a few forums and people seem to think around £5 million for the pair would be a good return.

I suspect it might be less than that. I think Konchesky went to Fulham for £3.25 million. I would have thought Zamora was worth more than konch.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Keir Clarke said...

Yes - Good luck to them both. If Curbs has spoken to Zamora and told him the club are looking to bring in another striker and he would be 4th or 5th choice then I wouldn't blame him for moving on.

I just hope we do have another striker lined up.

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I m sorry to see both of them of go,and i think the point on injuries is a good one. last season wasn t a freak occurrence. the club has been riddled with injuries for a number of seasons,bar the one we reached the FA cup final,tho obviously last year was the worst of the lot.

i think Pantsil started to show the athleticism that he has in the second half of last season,and i think it s a mistake to let him go, unless he is too unhappy at being a sub.

if the funds raised are used to bring a high quality player in, then perhaps it can be justified,but i have a feeling that at some point this season, the club will regret having let one or both go

g portugal

 
At 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to them both but if WHUFC are to progress into a top 6 club they have no chance of playing unless we have an injury crisis again. Now let's see Bowyer and Mullins move to Charlton and we can then bring in some of Nani's signings...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Add to Google Add to My Yahoo!